Tom Patt, MD, PhD, Orthopedic Surgeon
ACL nerd, interested in preventing ACL lesions as well as taking care of them (surgical & non surgical).
avg. operations yearly
Bergman Clinics Rotterdam
Read full description
About Tom Patt, MD, PhD, Orthopedic SurgeonSince his first steps in his career into orthopedics in the mountains of St. Moritz, Switzerland, Tom is fascinated by this small, but cruciate ligament, which has a size of just a bit more than 1 inch (about 2,5 - 3cm).
Tom Patt was trained in Switzerland and The Netherlands, with Dr AU Urfer (St Moritz, CH), Dr P Burkart (Luzern, CH), Professor W Mueller, Prof N. Friederich (Basel, CH), Prof. RK Marti (Amsterdam, NL) & dr. Marcel Driessen (Delft, NL).
He has headed a private orthopedic clinic in Delft, The Netherlands since 2014. Tom’s professional interests are sports knee surgery, and he has specialised in mainly arthroscopic knee interventions.
Since 2010, his other real orthopaedic passion has been prevention of knee lesions in children and adolescents. In this context he is vice president of ESMA/ESSKA (2022-24) and leads the workgroup for prevention, the GUARDIANS of the ACL (a subgroup of the ACL study group), as well as being member of other European organisations such as the German Knee Society.
Tom is often invited to speak at national and international meetings, in 2023 i.e.: Kaunas/Litouwen, London/UK, Estepona/Spain, Barcelona/Spain, Gdansk/Poland, Wroclaw/Poland, Warsaw/Poland, Essen/Germany, Faro/Portugal
“An ACL rupture is a life changing event”
- 2019 | present - Bergman Clinics
- 2017 | present - Al Salam International Hospital Kuwait City, visiting specialist / consultant Kneeligaments & sport injuries
- 2012 | 2019 - Orthopedium Delft
- 2007 | 2012 - Sint Maartenskliniek te Woerden
- 2005 | 2007 - Bethesda Ziekenhuis te Hoogeveen
- 2004 | 2006 - Chef de clinique Apeldoorn
- 2003 - ISAKOS fellowship arthroscopy, OLVG Amsterdam
Memberships of professional organizations
- 2022-2024 - ESMA/ESSKA vice-president
- 2022 - Founder prevention for all (ESMA project 2022)
- 2020 - Founder & vice chair GUARDIANS of the ACL, subgroup of the ACL study group,
- Partner / Founder join[t]forces
- GOTS, member prevention committee
- Nederlandse Vereniging voor Arthroscopie
- Deutsche Gesellschaft fuer Orthopaedie und ort. Chirurgie
- 2004 - ACL Study group
- Arbeitsgemeinschaft Arthroskopie
- Deutsche Kniegesellschaft, expert committee ligament lesions
- Lesactiviteiten national en international.
- Guideline on anterior cruciate ligament injury. Meuffels DE, Poldervaart MT, Diercks RL, Fievez AW, Patt TW, Hart CP, Hammacher ER, Meer Fv, Goedhart EA, Lenssen AF, Muller-Ploeger SB, Pols MA, Saris DB. Acta Orthop. 2012 Aug;83(4):379-86. doi: 10.3109/17453674.2012.704563. Epub 2012 Aug 20. Review.
- An unusual way of intramedullar fixation after a periprosthetic supracondylar femur fracture. Pot JH, van Heerwaarden RJ, Patt TW. J Arthroplasty. 2012 Mar;27(3):494.e5-8. doi: 10.1016/j.arth.2011.06.037. Epub 2011 Oct 21.
- The occurrence of osteoarthritis at a minimum of ten years after reconstruction of the anterior cruciate ligament. van der Hart CP, van den Bekerom MP, Patt TW. J Orthop Surg Res. 2008 Jun 10;3:24. doi: 10.1186/1749-799X-3-24.
- Early complications after high tibial osteotomy: a comparison of two techniques. van den Bekerom MP, Patt TW, Kleinhout MY, van der Vis HM, Albers GH. J Knee Surg. 2008 Jan;21(1):68-74.